|Imagine a couple purchasing a new home:
- The couple visits a virtual reality sales room.
- They fill entries in a database by answering computer articulated questions, specifying family dynamics (number of children now or planned, pets, anticipated visiting relatives, etc.) and individual prederences (employment, hobbies, height, leg length, arm length, favorite colors, etc.).
- These data are compared with an expanding database from large populations of similar demographics, and pattern finding defines key parameters need to define optimal built form.
- The identified parameters feed the automated design of a entity-relationship model of the couple's ideal home (IDEF-1X model defining fixtures connected to cabinets connected to walls, etc.), and place this home in the optimal places available through the virtual reality sales room.
- The newly created virtual model of the suggested home is displayed and the couple takes a walk through the home in Virtual Reality, pointing out things they like and don't like about views, cabinets, finishings, colors, etc. These comments are incorporated into a second generation virtual model.
- The parameter changes needed to address these concerns are input to the virtual reality model, and the IDEF-1X Entity-Relationship Model is modified and redisplayed. This process is iterated until the couple is satisfied with their new house plans, and are ready to sign a contract to purchase or have their new house built. Initially these iterations could take a week, and given a few cycles of development, this iterative process will occur in hours and eventually minutes.
- Once the contract is signed and a deposit is transferred, automated manufacturing and assembly operations start up. The construction plans from the virtual reality showroom are electronically transferred to the component and facility construction site(s), specifying where utility pipes are to be laid, and other specifics of the foundation, framework, and components. If composites are used, the component factory extrudes wall sections with wiring and plumbing and heating and cooling ducts imbedded as a kit-of-parts.
- The Process Model (IDEF-0, inverted from IDEF-1X) optimizes transportation of components and manages the logistics of bringing all components together for assembly on-site.
- Shortly after their visit to the virtual reality sales room the couple moves into their new habitat. Because of the digital definition of every component of their house, measuring and monitoring of operations, as well as design and of maintenance and renovation (including major changes to the structure of the house as children reach different ages) are optimized semi-autmoated procedures.