Knowledge BackboneSM Definitions
- Data Type: definition of how digital bits represent ASCII characters, etc.
- Raw Data: bits, bytes, and other Data Types.
- Data: instances of specific meanings occurring in the real world.
- Project: activity context.
- Information: data in context, related to a specific purpose.
- Experience: information accumulated during the course of work or play.
- Knowledge: progressive gathering of bits of experience, along with the links which associate these disparate parts into a unified whole.
- Good Judgment: choices which make a positive difference over time.
- Wisdom: knowledge of what is true and right coupled with good judgment, and is embodied in those who can remember the recipe and tell the story.
- Formal Language: a simple common language of lines and boxes, hierarchies and branches, with logical rules for construction of descriptions, and which can be easily learned by accountants and scientists, as well as engineers and managers, enabling natural cross-discipline communication.
- Knowledge TemplateSM: a single extensible hierarchical structure for each functional task.
- Knowledge ComponentSM: browsable data describing benchmarks, best practices, case histories, experience, lookbacks, memos, processes, resources, skills, solutions, tasks, usage, etc.
- Knowledge MapSM: a single set of linked Knowledge ComponentsSM for each Functional Task.
- Knowledge BackboneSM: a digital activity based index or catalog resulting from building Knowledge MapsSM and linking them with Knowledge TemplatesSM.
- Functional Task: a specific job within a discipline, for instance "Process Seismic Data," "Acquire Assets," or " "Generate Production Profiles."
- IDEF: the ICAM Definition Exchange Format, where ICAM is Integrated Computer Aided Manufacturing, and loosely translates as the Information Definition Exchange Format.
- IDEF-0: a formal process modeling language, where activity boxes are named as verbs or verb phrases, and are connected via arrows, named as nouns or noun phrases, which define inputs (from the left), controls (from the top), outputs (to the right), or mechanisms (from the bottom). Each activity has a definition, keywords, and can be quantified by time, cost, frequency, etc.
- Node Tree: the hierarchical relationship of activities in an IDEF-0 model.
- IDEF-1X: a formal data base organizational language where entity boxes are named as nouns or noun phrases and are connected by relationship arrows, which are named as verbs or verb phrases.
- IDEF-2: a methodology for simulating the results of performing the activities defined by IDEF-0 process models.
- IDEF-3: a formal work flow language, which adds logical or Boolean operations (less than, greater than, not equal to, etc.) to the IDEF-0 activity framework.
- Knowledge Type: an 8-bit name for individual activities and all decompositions.
This page is at: http://www.walden3d.com/knowledge_backboneSM/definitions.html
Copyright © 2000 Walden 3-D, Inc.
All rights reserved. Published in The United States of America
This page, or parts thereof, may not be reproduced in any form without permission of the publisher.
For further information contact:
Walden 3-D, Inc., P.O. Box 382, Barker, TX 77413-0382
- 281.579.0172 - facsimile: 281.579.2141 - cell: 713.542.2207 -
- URL: http://www.walden3d.com * e-mail: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org -